Tuesday, January 26, 2010

On the Edge of the Driver's Seat

In my ongoing quest to satisfy my boys' desire for scary books that I feel are appropriate, I have hit upon a real doozy. I've been listening to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book on CD as I drive to and from work this week. I'm almost hoping for a traffic jam. It is gripping! Before checking it out of the library, the sum total of knowledge I had of this book was that its author also wrote Coraline and that it won a number of awards last year, including a Newberry. Now I know I love it. It tells the story of Bod, Nobody Owens, orphaned as a toddler when his family was murdered and now being raised by the inhabitants of a local graveyard, ghosts, that is. I don't want to give a single thing away, and perhaps I can't as I still have about an hour of story left, so I'll just leave you with these words- this is the best thing I've checked out of the library in months and I'm looking forward to reading it with my kids.

2 comments:

teacherninja said...

It's next on my TBR pile. Check out his website and you can see videos of him reading each chapter on his book tour.

Ms. Yingling said...

Try Carter's Hand of the Devil! I sell it as "About a giant, killer mosquito whose venom liquefies its victims and the mosquito's psychopathic, serial killer handler"! I think it would be okay for younger kids. That, an any of the Paul Zindel Ratsraptorreefofdeathdoomstonelochnightofthebat. I just like to say all of them together!