Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Happy Bloomsday!


It's June 16 or Bloomsday today, the day on which all of the events of James Joyce's Ulysses occurred. I just love Joyce, both his writing and his own personal story. If I could have a few more daughters, I would try to convince my husband to let me name them after some of the women in Joyce's life and writing, Nora and Molly and Evangeline. The first time I ever truly felt smart in a college class and not just as if I were pulling the wool over everyone's eyes was in a seminar on Joyce. Thank goodness we never got to reading Finnegan's Wake or the feeling of academic competence would not have lasted! If you are not so fortunate as to be able to spend Bloomsday 2009 on the streets and in the pubs of Dublin, at least celebrate it by listening to, or better yet telling, a good story.

No comments: