Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Summer Magic

My eight year old daughter is attending a summer camp run by our town's Parks and Recreation Department. It runs from 9 to 12:30 each day and involves all of the great old school summer camp activities like kickball, lanyard making, and Bingo. That alone is magical to me. But wait, there's more. A few days ago, a magician came in and put on a little show for the campers. Hayden came out of camp that day, clutching a balloon tied to look like a flower and instructions for a magic trick to make a coin weep. She was hooked. She and a girlfriend put on a magic show in our living room last night. Girls "disappeared," torn tissues reformed, and coins wept. Still high on the applause, we went to our public library after camp today and I led her to the section with books of magic tricks. She had no idea such a section existed and looked at me as if I were Harry Houdini. (Hooray!) We checked out two of them, and she began reading on the car ride home. Two hours later, she has perfected and performed half a dozen tricks from Mr. Mysterious's Secrets of Magic and Abbra-Ca-Dazzle. Oh, how we love the library and summer vacation!
I also love my dad, and today is his birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad!

No comments: