Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Subject:British Chick Lit Penned by a Dude


I finished Holly's Inbox by Holly Denham about a week ago. Don't be fooled by the cover. It is really Holly's Inbox and Sent Mail and it was written by a guy. It is a fat book, over 600 pages, but can be read in about a day as each page contains a handful of emails and a whole lot of white space. This fast paced story, told completely in emails, chronicles Holly's time working as a receptionist at a busy corporate bank in England. I love a good British chick lit offering as much as the next gal, but this one didn't do it for me. I have the feeling the author studied the Bridget Jones and Shopaholic books and tried to deliver up more of the same for women readers. It contains zany, sharp-tongued friends, romance, mishaps, weight worries, and a dysfunctional family who mean well, but it falls short of the mark.

1 comment:

Lawyer Mom said...

Thanks for sharing your opinion of this book. As you know, I'm stocking up for a trip -- and this one won't be on my list.