Thursday, May 22, 2008

LOL

My eight year old Hayden brought Beverly Cleary's Beezus and Ramona with her to the bus stop yesterday morning. She kept giggling while she read. Apparently, Ramona had eaten just the first bite out of each apple in an entire box. This just cracked Hayden up. It got me thinking about other books that have been funny enough to make my kids laugh out loud. I won't consider 5 year old Ethan in this because he would laugh at War and Peace if you inserted "gas" or "poop" or "barf" every few sentences. There are also too many silly, laugh out loud picture books to mention.
So, here are a few books we've read recently that have gotten the Burts to laugh out loud:
-the Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel (perfect for preschoolers and early readers)
-the Poppleton series by Cynthia Rylant (also great for preschoolers and early readers)
-Superfudge and Duble Fudge by Judy Blume ( these make my second and third grader laugh as much on the second and third readings as on the first)
-the entire Captain Underpants collection by Dav Pilkey (my kids started enjoying these around the age of five and still chuckle at George and Harold's antics)
-The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson (this one inspires my two older kids to enact selected scenes, and then they laugh while acting them out.)
-Jim Benson's Dear Dumb Diary series while set in a middle school really make my second and third grader laugh, as do
-the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books by Jeff Kinney. The genius of these books is that they make me laugh out loud as well, but I don't think my kids and I are always laughing at the same parts. I think that they will reread these for years and keep finding new humor in them.

No comments: