Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I've Always Wondered


I've always wondered if there is a difference between a chucklehead and a knucklehead. Can you use the two interchangeably or is there some connotational difference? Jon Scieszka's recent autobiography, Knucklehead, does not answer my question, but I'm going to let that slide because it's such an enjoyable read. Scieszka, author of more than two dozen books including The Stinky Cheese Man and the Time Warp Trio series, tells of growing up the second oldest in a family of six boys. Much of this book reminded me of my own childhood. I'm certainly not a boy, but I have three older brothers, and like Scieszka, attended Catholic schools. The autobiography recounts familiar scenes with plastic army men, wild sessions of outdoor play, hand me down clothes, low level pyromania, and beloved books. It's a short and quick read that will appeal to Scieszka's fans and boys in the middle grades and junior high.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

This was hysterical. THe people who like it most are the male teachers at my school. I checked out the copy to one of them, and he kept passing it off to the other teachers. The students like it too. How could you not, with that scene with the cat in the back seat of the car with the nut roll?