Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Books for the First Day of Kindergarten



I'm sending my third child off to kindergarten this September. There are tons of books out there about the first day of school/kindergarten. Some are good; most are junk. These are our family's favorites:
  • Lily's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes. I love everything by this author, and he has some great books that deal with school experiences. While not specifically about beginning kindergarten, this one in particular honestly shows that not every day in school will be happy happy joy joy-perfect, but teachers and parents can help with problems, and school can be a very good place.
  • The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. My sister-in-law who is a thoughtful and creative elementary school teacher herself gave this book to my oldest son before he began nursery school. We have reread it countless times. It is a good read for the beginning of a new school year or anytime a young child is sad or anxious about separating from home.
  • Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slade. The text is fast paced and the details of Miss Bindergarten's classroom are fun for children to keep an eye on. There are other Miss Bindergarten books as well.
  • Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus by Barbara Park. I bought this one, again for my oldest, to get ready for riding a school bus. Little did I know it would usher in the age of chapter books in our house. While controversy surrounds Junie B's less than perfect grammar among parents and educators, kids love her. She gets herself into some funny and wild situations. My kids all knew that, no matter what their worries, their first day of kindergarten could never go as badly as Junie B.'s

1 comment:

robinsnest said...

Sounds like some great book idea's for Kindergarten - I'm going to look for them! Thanks and keep up the great work on your blog! Robin