Sunday, October 12, 2008

Girls Gone Mild

My husband and sons spent the weekend in Maine, and my daughter and I spent the weekend in nerdy, egg headed, old ladyish bliss. After her soccer game on Friday night, we took long hot bubbly baths, donned fuzzy pajamas, and met in my bed for a few hours of reading with an enormous bowl of buttered popcorn between us. Hayden read and thoroughly enjoyed the classic The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden. I finished my book club's selection for this month, Jennifer Cody Epstein's The Painter from Shanghai.
On Saturday we hit the town wide garage sales on a successful mission for Roald Dahl books. Hayden purchased Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and George's Marvelous Medicine for fifty cents apiece. We played Scrabble in the afternoon. Dunce, oxen, and haters were the highest point earning words of the match.
I fear all of these wonderful but spinster-like activities may have unnaturally accelerated the aging process in Hayden. She did have a girlfriend over to watch High School Musical and spend the night on Saturday evening. With any luck that reversed the process in her and she won't head off to the third grade on Monday with a wad of extra tissues in her cardigan sleeve "just in case" and a line of stray cats behind her!

No comments: