Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day



I do not vote alone. No, I'm not referring to the predicted record breaking voter turnout for this election, although I think that's excellent. I always end up with my children in the voting booth with me. Ask any mother of young children who has tried to pee, shower, or try on clothing behind a closed door or curtain- it ain't happening solo. So too with voting. Kids want to be where the action is. For voting, that's a good thing. I want my children to grow up as active citizens. I want them to participate in our democracy and know their parents did as well. This year, my youngest is in kindergarten so I could actually go to my polling place alone this morning, but I plan to wait until this afternoon when all three kids will be home from school. This is a historic election. They have asked to accompany me and I want them to accompany me. Plus, my polling place is our town library. In fact, the booths are on the second floor where the children's section is located. Is this a great country or what?

No comments: