Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thoughts on Humor


I don't know how it began, but in recent weeks we've had an ongoing discussion about comedy in my house.We've talked about it all: slapstick, topical, dry wit, and bathroom humor. If motherhood has taught me anything, it's that nothing stops a six year old boy from crying faster than a good fart joke. Despite the proven healing power of potty jokes, a dry wit remains my favorite. This prompted my ten year old to ask, "How do you get a dry wit?" God knows I haven't really found one to call my own, but I do appreciate it in others. So we've been analyzing and categorizing every joke we read in books lately because we're stuck on this humor thing. Earlier this week, eight year old Hayden shared a Stephen Wright-like question from her latest book, Dear Dumb Diary #8: It's Not My Fault I Know Everything by Jim Benton. Who spends more time on their appearance: supermodels or circus clowns? Think about it, the hair, the make up, the bizarre outfits and uncomfortable shoes. Hayden just loves those Dear Dumb Diary books and was beside herself with joy to find this latest one at the bookstore last week even though it wasn't scheduled for release until next month.

A comedy bit has been running through my head lately as well. It's from Demetri Martin's new show, "Important Things with Demetri Martin" on Comedy Central. Bookish nerd that I am, I love all of his fresh, clever wordplay. On a recent show, he suggested that to make someone sound less powerful, put "DJ" in front of his or her name. He demonstrated the effectiveness of this with DJ ABRAHAM LINCOLN. So funny, right? I've found myself testing it out on name after name as I go throughout my day. DJ Dick Cheney. DJ William Shakespeare. DJ Salman Rushdie. Like a song stuck in your head, I guarantee you'll end up trying it too as you read the newspaper or listen to the radio.

1 comment:

Ginny Marie said...

I'm going to try that DJ trick! ;)