Monday, February 2, 2009

Monday Morning Sports Round Up

How about that Super Bowl last night? What an exciting game! This is why you shouldn't expect Monday Morning Sports Round Up to be a regular feature here at The Book Bench: what really made that game exciting to me were the delicious buffalo wings I ate in the third quarter and Bruce Springsteen playing at halftime. I'm a Jersey girl after all. There is another sports story I have been following pretty closely this weekend. I'm really torn up about the photo that was released of Michael Phelps smoking marijuana from a bong. First, I'm disappointed in myself because my very first thought, honest to God, was that "toke" rhymes with "backstroke." What does that say about me? Then my next thought was, "No wonder all those magazine articles told us he consumes like 10,000 calories a day!" Second, I'm disappointed in Michael Phelps. No, not the person; I don't know him. I'm disappointed in Michael Phelps the great story of hard work and goal setting I held up to my kids. My son perused the Scholastic Book Order last week (before the pot smoking story broke) and considered ordering a book about Michael Phelps, but in the end decided that $12 was more than he wanted to spend. I'm curious to see if the companies whose products he endorses decide against spending so much on him as well.

1 comment:

Ginny Marie said...

It will be interesting to see what happens to Michael Phelps.

I'm also awarding you for writing a fabulous blog! Stop by my blog to pick up your award!