Monday, May 18, 2009

I Couldn't Have Said it Better Myself

After hugging and tickling, reading aloud to my children has been the single most pleasurable aspect of parenting for me. From Good Night Moon to The Hobbit (we've only 13 pages left), the moments we've spent together with books have been immensely enriching and enjoyable. It's no surprise that I read this editorial piece , "Some Thoughts on the Lost Art of Reading Aloud," in the New York Times with a head nodding up and down in agreement. It considers reading aloud from its social implications whereas I usually think about it in terms of education and parenting. And it's got some Jane Austen thrown in for good measure.

1 comment:

Lawyer Mom said...

I saw that piece, too. It reminded me it's important for the kiddos to read aloud, too. A friend and I are going to do some simple play-readings with our boys soon, and work our way up to the good stuff.