Tuesday, May 12, 2009

We Played Like it Was 1979

Back in the 1970s, my best friend owned a Little Golden Book featuring Donny and Marie. Oh boy, did we love Donny and Marie cause you know, she was a little bit country and he was a little bit rock and roll, but we were a little too old for the book at the time. We were more into Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew and the Little Women books. We didn't mind sighing over posters of these two,

but Little Golden books about them seemed a bit babyish. I bet that book could turn a nice little profit on ebay today. The 70s and how I spent them have been much on my mind since I passed an idyllic afternoon with my daughter on Saturday. The boys in our family were out and she asked me if I wanted to play a computer game with her. I did, and it was fun, but after a bit I mentioned that we didn't have a computer in the house when I was her age. What did you do with yourself, she wondered. Of course there were books, I told her, and records (like Donny and Shawn's) to play, but it was so beautiful outside, I decided to show her how I spent much of the 1970s al fresco. We jumped rope- "C my name is Christine and my boyfriend's name is Carl, we come from Chicago and we like candy."

We hula hooped. We prepared for careers as hula hooping waitresses.

We blew bubbles and played wiffle ball and laughed a great deal. Eventually we pulled out lawn chairs and decided to read in the shade. I tried in vain to convince her to read a Trixie Belden book. Those kept me busy back in the day. She decided to leave the 1970s behind and continued with her copy of Jeaanne Birdsall's The Penderwicks of Gardam Street. So I followed her lead into 2009 and finished Emma Gilbey Keller's The Comeback (mentioned here yesterday), but I'm thinking I'm going to reread a Trixie Belden myself and maybe Google Shawn Cassidy to see what he's been up to lately.








2 comments:

Lawyer Mom said...

Ah, Shawn Cassidy. Didn't he play one of the Hardy Boys? My memory is so rusty -- I thought Sonny and Cher did that "little bit country" thing.

We have one computer in the house and I am fighting mightily to keep it that way. Sounds like you and your daughter had a lovely "old-fashioned" day.

Hit 40 said...

Too funny! I loved those preteen books. Great memories.