Sunday, January 25, 2009

This Land Is Your Land

I was at my parents' house earlier today and my mom shared with me a great picture book she recently checked out of her public library. It is Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" wonderfully illustrated by folk artist Kathy Jakobsen. The vibrant and detailed pictures are a tribute to America and Woody Guthrie. I love singing "This Land Is Your Land." Who doesn't? I often sing it with a lump in my throat, remembering singing it myself as a kid, and remembering my own kids singing it in the bathtub, the car, at preschool sing-alongs, at Fourth of July fireworks displays, and so on. I especially loved singing along in front of the television last week when it was sung at the Inaugural concert in Washington, D.C. It was so gloriously moving to see 89 year old, formerly black listed, folk singer Pete Seeger belting it out alongside Bruce Springsteen. You can tell it was a thrill for both performers. Here it is in case you missed it. And, thanks, Mom, for sharing the book!

1 comment:

Corinne said...

boo, mom and i tried to watch the clip but it was removed :(
anyways, i just loved this book also - the illustrations made me feel like i was on the road again!