Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Like Kids in a Bookstore

About ten years ago, I signed up for a credit card which offered reward points to a large chain bookstore. I was teaching at the time and redeemed the reward money to buy books for my classroom. Now that I'm home with the kids, I'm certainly not jetting off on vacations, so the bookstore reward points make more sense for us than a credit card which offers frequent flier miles. On an average month, I receive about a fifteen to twenty dollar gift card with my monthly statement. This past month saw a lot of credit card purchases due to a bathroom remodel we are doing. The result: after a trip to the dentist yesterday, the kids and I went to the bookstore with $70 in rewards bucks to spend. After much deliberation, hemming, hawing, and even an eeny-meeny-miney-mo between two options, this is what we came home with:
* Half Magic by Edward Eager
* My Last Best Friend by Julie Bowe (these two are for a birthday party)
* Sloop:Restoring My Family's Wooden Sailboat-An Adventure in Old-Fashioned Values by Daniel Robb (Happy Father's Day, honey!)
* Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith
* Time Spies Secret in the Tower by Candice Ransom
* The Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn (chosen for its spooky cover and Willis, my older son's middle name, is in the title. Take that, marketing experts.)
* Whittington by Alan Armstrong
* Inky the Indigo Fairy and Heather the Violet Fairy both by Daisy Meadows. Finally, Hayden's Rainbow Magic fairy book collection is complete.
* the most precious purchase: Marvel Adventures' The Avengers:The Dream Team written by Jeff Parker with many art credits. My five year old has been tenderly cradling this one in his arms and proudly showing it off to everyone he meets in much the same way his father and I did with him as a newborn.
It was a quiet ride home from the bookstore. The only sound to be heard was the flipping of pages.

No comments: