Sunday, June 22, 2008

Penguinpalooza

We're in a penguin phase here lately. Now that they are home on summer vacation, my kids have rediscovered Club Penguin on the computer, they've asked me to rent Happy Feet again, and Hayden's new penguin beach towel cannot get through the washer and dryer fast enough for her. This morning on the drive to church, my older son read Penguins by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld, a Scholastic Science Reader, to my younger son. It is informative with great photographs and lots of facts about penguins, including the following tidbit, "The mothers soon return from the ocean. Their bellies are full of krill. They pass the krill up from their bellies to feed their new babies."
I was asked what "pass the krill up from their bellies" means. Once I explained, these two comments were loudly and simultaneously voiced:
"That is so cool!"
"That's disgusting!"

I've seen a book called Mr. Popper's Penguins on a number of suggested reading lists for school aged children. I'm thinking the time is right for me to check it out of the library and see if anyone in my household wants to read it. If they do, you can be sure I'll report back here.

No comments: